Monday, April 11, 2011

Saying Good-Bye ~ Tuesday

The alarm was set for 8 a.m. My flight was scheduled to leave Orlando at 3:30 and it was more than an hour’s drive to the airport. Then I’d have to go through “Security” and find my way to the right gate, etc. It all took time. I didn’t want to leave, but since it was inevitable, I sure wasn't about to miss the flight. Dave had said we should leave by 12:30.

Carol was up and had our coffee ready. There was music playing – all of our old favorites. She looked at me sadly and said, “Peggy, if you’ll stay a couple more days, I’ll pay whatever the extra cost is for changing your reservation.”

I said, “As much as I’d love to spend more time with you, I have responsibilities at home: a husband, children, grandchildren, a very sick daughter-in-law, and a cat. They want me to come home as much as you want me to stay. You know I have to go.” She just looked at me with big, sad eyes. I said, “Besides, I know you’re ready to get back to your life with Dave, and he’s probably anxious to have you back, too.” She smiled.

It was sunny and hot after the rain yesterday. We walked around outside for a while looking at some beautiful flowers and trees. We saw a black snake slink into some nearby bushes, and I didn’t waste any time heading for the door. Carol followed.

I went to my bedroom to finish packing and start getting ready. Dave came at 11:30. Carol came in and asked if I’d eat a sandwich and some potato salad. I told her, “No, thanks. I get too nervous flying and it’s best if I don’t eat too much." I had tea while the two of them had lunch.

She insisted we take pictures by the pool. Dave took a couple of us together and I took a couple of them. By this time, it was about time to put my stuff in the car and head for the airport.

We chattered cheerfully all the way but we both knew we were just “whistling in the dark.”  Neither of us was happy that our time together was over.
Once at the airport, it was very congested as Dave tried to get close to the door where my airline was located. He had to double-park, get my bags out and leave Carol with the car while he carried my heaviest bag inside for me. That’s as far as they could go without going to the trouble of parking the car and walking a long distance. I assured them I’d be fine. 

Dave headed for the door with my suitcase. Carol stood beside the car looking teary-eyed. We reached for each other at the same time, hugged and said, “I love you!” I said, “Thanks for everything. I’ll be in touch soon.” A few steps away, I stopped, swallowed hard, blinked back tears that were trying to fill my eyes; and then ran back and we hugged again.

Saying good-bye to someone you love is hard!

Next: Going Home


jeanette said...

I just finished reading this peg... and I'm crying. So sad that the two of you have been friends all your lives and can't spend more time together. especially whne you're getting older. jeanette

sam said...

I've really enjoyed these posts about your visit with your friend peg. so heartwarming. sam

Anonymous said...

I'm speechless. I don't want these posts to be over either. They're so good and I look forward to reading them every day.

GrandmaS said...

Peg, thank you for writing about your long awaited encounter with an old friend. If we have even one long-time friend, we are extraordinarily fortunate. So many of us have moved about so often and gone through so many life changes that we consider ourselves lucky enough to be able to maintain contact even with family, much less friends. We do well to remember that friends and family members are our true companions in this life and worth much more to us than we generally give them credit for.

Peggy~ said...

You're so right S VM! God, Friends and family are what this life is all about; nothing else is as important!
Thanks for commenting.